Creativity at Work

Creativity at Work is the name of the 2006 American Creativity Association's conference. This blog is established for presenters, keynoters, attendees, ACA members and the interested public to write about or comment on the presentations at the annual conference. Individuals wishing to post orginal material should contact the administrator.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Unusually authentic

Well, I experienced my first full day of my first ACA conference today, and I have a couple of thoughts to share:

+As someone who has attended literally hundreds of association meetings over a 15+ year career, I can honestly that this one is distinctive. The organizers, far from being bunged up about staying on schedule, freely allowed things to move forward on their own time and logic. I have to confess that this was a little strange for me, especially later in the day when the panel discussion of which I was a part went over the scheduled time...right into the next session for which I was the sole speaker! I did have the fleeting thought that my session attendees might proceed without me, which would have been just fine! I'm pleased to report, however, that the second session (on Google) moved forward with me, and I am happy with the outcome.

+This morning's opening session remarks from past ACA presidents struck me at first as a little bit too much inside baseball from the dais. As a first-timer, I did not have a clue to whom anyone was referring in their comments. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a problem for me. It was just somewhat unexpected. Most associations today are trying to minimize their discussions of historical background and internal matters from the stage, so I wasn't prepared for a different approach.

+Mostly, over the course of the day, I was struck by the basic authenticity of ACA members, leaders and conference attendees. I suppose I should not be surprised that a hotel filled with wild-eyed, passionate right brainers who, I'm confident, share my love of Play-Doh and Koosh balls are filled with energy and dripping with an authentic sense that what we're here to discuss really does matter, regardless of what all those command-and-control flunkies might think! It is a refreshing change of pace for me.

All in all, it was a very good first day at ACA. I'll try to post again one more time tomorrow before I leave on Friday morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home